Friday, July 18, 2014

Blueberry Muffins


I know what you're thinking...where are the muffins?
Sorry this post is late. Kind of hard to cook when you spend the day in the hospital with your kid. So…finally home just in time to whip up some food while he rests today.

Today’s recipe is for blueberry muffins. My sister made this recipe, and I didn’t like it very much—she used all white flour, and I’m so used to whole wheat that white flour muffins taste kind of gummy and, well, white. So I used the whole wheat adaptation listed in The Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

I didn’t have a muffin pan, so I just made a loaf. But I would recommend muffins, as I love them. They are just better somehow, right?

Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:

Mmm...blueberries.
2 c. white flour (or 1 c. white, ¾ c. whole wheat, which is what I used)

1 tbsp. baking powder (or 1 tsp. baking soda)

½ tsp. salt

2 tbsp. sugar (or ½ c. for blueberry muffins)

1 egg, beaten

1 c. milk

¼ c. melted butter

(1 c. blueberries for blueberry muffins)

Preheat oven to 375.

Butter a muffin tin.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.

Add milk, egg, and butter, mixing enough to wet the flour. Mix should be lumpy.

If making blueberry muffins, add blueberries at this point.

Spoon into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

I used the whole wheat recipe, and the blueberry recipe, from the cookbook. I also used baking soda because I don’t like to use baking powder. I left out salt, as always, and I added only ¼ c. sugar instead of ½. But next time, I might add the whole half, because it didn’t turn out very sweet at all. In fact, it was hardly sweet at all. But it was still pretty tasty, and I would make it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment